Saturday 6 February 2016

Hey Guys,

CURRENCY WARS,
THE ECONOMY OF THE UNITED STATES
AND
REFORM OF THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY SYSTEM.

Introduction
I am deeply honored to be invited to present this twelfth annual Stavros Niarchos Foundation Lecture at the Institute and want to take the occasion to add my personal gratitude to the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, led and represented here by Spyros Niarchos and Andreas Dracopoulos, for making this series possible and for supporting it so generously at the Institute over the past decade.

I began my professional career in international economic policy almost precisely fifty years ago and spent much of my first two decades in the US Government, first working for Dick Cooper (who is here) among others at the State Department, then as Henry Kissinger’s deputy for foreign economic policy at the National Security Council and subsequently in charge of the international part of the Treasury Department under Secretary Mike Blumenthal (who is also here). With enormous help from many people in this room, especially Pete and Frank Loy, I began my stewardship of the Institute thirty-two years ago. In presenting today’s lecture, I want to draw on both sets of experiences to analyze the dramatic evolution of the world economy, and especially the role of the United States within it, over the past half century. I will rely heavily on the research of my Institute colleagues, which has been responsible for its and much of my success, over the history of this institution. At the urging of my colleagues, I will also try to spice up the presentation with a few anecdotes drawn from my personal recollections – though I hope you will not conclude that I have moved too far into my anecdotage just yet. A full text of my lecture, which adds several arguments that I will not have time to address tonight and is replete with tables, footnotes and references, will be available after the presentation.

When I was discussing what topic to address tonight with Adam a few weeks back, he suggested that I might want to celebrate the triumph of competitive liberalization as the driving strategy for the global trading system, an idea which I conceptualized and helped implement in the middle 1990s as chairman of the APEC Eminent Persons Group and then in a series of papers after Carla Hills had gotten it going as USTR and as Bob Zoellick then carried forward so effectively during his tenure in that position, and which is now proceeding boldly with negotiation of the three megaregional agreements: throughout Asia, across the Pacific (beginning to fulfill the original APEC vision) and across the Atlantic. Alternatively, I could have reiterated my (and Jacob Kirkegaard’s) conviction, which has proved correct so far, that the euro will survive its current crisis and perhaps emerge stronger as a result of the policy and institutional reforms that its member countries have been forced to adopt at an accelerated pace. But I decided instead to revert to the topic of my first book, which has concerned me deeply

throughout my career, the shortcomings of the international monetary system and particularly their effects on the United States.
I do so in the hope that I can persuade you of six central points:
1. That currency conflict is very sizable and very widespread, and that it could get worse (maybe much worse);
2. That it has very large economic effects, especially on the United States and the weak peripheral countries of the Eurozone;
3. That these developments stem from a gaping hole in the international economic architecture, encompassing both the monetary and trading systems;
4. That there is a feasible set of effective policy options that can be adopted to counter the objectionable practices now and deter them in the future; and
5. That the United States, as both the systemic leader and the most injured party, should initiate a major effort to do so multilaterally but be ready to act unilaterally as well if necessary.
6. In short, it is time to declare war on the currency wars.
I address all this through the lens of the international monetary system because, as Joseph

Nye has famously said about the security system, the monetary system is like oxygen: you never notice it until its absence poses serious, even existential, problems. I also do so because the system is clearly suffering from secular erosion. Crises have become much more frequent.
They are intensifying, with the latest downturn the worst since the 1930s. They have afflicted all major regions: Asia in the late 1990s, the United States in 2007-09 and Europe now. The rich countries were the epicenter of the latest disruptions, broadening their impact. The calls are clearly getting closer. The system is undergoing its most severe stress test to date.

The international monetary system also now faces a clear and present danger: currency wars. Virtually every major country is seeking depreciation, or at least non-appreciation, of its currency to strengthen its economy and create jobs.2 My colleague Joe Gagnon has identified more than twenty countries that have been intervening directly in the foreign exchange markets for this purpose for a number of years, resulting in cumulative buildups of reserves exceeding $10 trillion in total (Table 1) and averaging almost $1 trillion annually of late (Table 2).3 They have done so mainly by buying dollars and euros, to keep those currencies overly strong and their own currencies weak, mainly to boost their international competitiveness and trade surpluses.
This list includes some of the largest economies in the world, both developing and developed. It is led of course by China but includes a number of other Asians as well as several oil exporters and a couple of Europeans (Table 1). They account for almost one third of the world economy and more than two thirds of global current account surpluses (Table 2). Broadening the list beyond China roughly doubles its magnitude.4 Currency manipulation is very large and very widespread.




No comments:

Post a Comment